Today is the UN’s International Day for Disaster Reduction! What are you doing to help reduce the possibility of or prepare for a future natural disaster? At INMED, we’re teaching small-scale farmers climate-smart agriculture techniques, such as aquaponics, to become climate-change resilient. Aquaponics is an environmentally friendly way to ensure food security and economic development in regions hard hit by climate change. Other advantages include:
- Crop production at least 5 times higher than equivalently sized plots traditionally cultivated.
- 85-90% less water consumption than traditional irrigation.
- No chemical fertilizers or pesticides.
- Energy consumption substantially less than mechanized agriculture.
- Year-round crop production.
- Significantly less labor than traditional farming, making it accessible to individuals with disabilities, beneficial for female-led households and attractive to youth.
Celebrate the International Day for Disaster Reduction by learning more about INMED’s climate-smart agriculture programs: https://inmed.org/aquaponics. Learn more about the International Day for Disaster Reduction at http://www.un.org/en/events/disasterreductionday/
@INMEDChildren @INMEDSA @INMEDCaribbean @INMEDAndes #climatesmartagriculture #adaptiveagriculture #aquaonics #INMEDaquaponics #climatechange #climatechangeadaptation #foodsecurity #climatelinks #foodtank #InternationalDayforDisasterReduction